What should I consider before buying a pet?
Please take this important information into account before buying a pet:
- You are not allowed to buy a pet on Shpock if you are younger than 18 years.
- Pets are not products, fashion accessories or toys – but living creatures just like us!
- Pets are social beings which belong to your family. When buying a pet you should bear it in mind that they need care, love and time – like you and me!
- Before buying a pet please make sure that you can offer it a home for life. If you go on holiday or get sick you will need to provide it with alternative accommodation.
- Please note that purchasing an animal means a bigger investment than just the initial cost. Please take the time to consider vet bills, food and other living costs.
- You should not buy a pet out of pity.
- A pet is not to be delivered by mail or in any other way which is likely to harm, distress or endanger the animal.
- You do not demand or support any controversial pet surgeries (e.g. ear-cropping, tail docking, devocalization, claws or teeth removal).
You can identify a reliable seller or registered breeder by the following criteria:
- Pets are sold at an appropriate age. The minimum age for puppies and kittens is 12 weeks.
- A professional breeder is able to show you proof of his breeding site.
- Pets are handed over to their new owners at the seller’s residence. Street sales and postal deliveries are NOT acceptable.
- The mother animal is on site when you pick up a puppy or kitten.
- The seller offers only one breed. A wide variety of available breeds indicates a questionable seller. The seller ensures the well-being of the animals and can show his/her license and provide the medical records of any animal on their site.
For further information please refer to the country-specific animal welfare regulations for United Kingdom, Germany, and the EU.
Enjoy your time with your new pet!